Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pentecost Lapbook & Activities

I found this site called Christian Preschool Printables that has a section 
on Fruit of the Spirit Games they offer for free!


I printed a couple of these pages out and used them in a circle activity.  Students took turns and selected a card and read the situation out loud such as,
"while you are in line for snack time, a student comes and cuts in front on you.
How do you show patience?"
Each scenario asks the student to practice a Fruit of the Spirit (i.e. love, gentleness, self-control).

Even though I have first graders, they were able to brainstorm and share ideas
 on how to respond as God would ask them to.

We then worked on our Pentecost Lapbook.
I found the Pentecost picture over at Agape Worldwide.



On the inside, I included a Subway art picture of the Fruits of the Spirit that I found at La Dolce Vita.  
Kacie has created a lovely assortment of them in different colors.  
She offers them for free on her blog!  Thank you Kacie!


 I also made a book of the Symbols of the Holy Spirit which I made off of my computer.  
Nothing fancy but it gets the point across. 


Here's a close up of Kacie's work.


I also made the list of the Gifts of the Spirit and wrote the name on the outside
with an explanation of the gift when you lift the flap.


Under the picture of the Holy Spirit sending his gifts to the apostles,
I included this prayer.


Here's a better view of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.


On the back side, I used Monica's beautiful drawing of the Holy Spirit 
she offers for free at Little Jesus and Me blog.  
She is an amazingly talented artist that offers her readers 
printable coloring pages for faith formation.
Thank you Monica!


I also found this Pope Francis trading card at That Resource Site that I gave to my students.
I give it to them in a shape of a book mark and instruct them to use it as such.


My last activity to celebrate Pentecost was an interactive discussion of how the 
symbols represented a Gift of the Holy Spirit.


I found it over at Lacy's Catholic Icing blog and realized it's geared towards 
older students but I thought my first graders would understand it well enough.
Thank you Lacy for the idea and the directions!

This was my last class for the school year.
I will miss my students!!

I sent them home with their Pentecost lapbooks, symbols of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit with the instructions, and the Pentecost cupcake.



I have shared this post over at Monica's Catholic Bloggers Network.
Blessings,
Noreen




8 comments:

  1. Noreen, I am so happy to see the wonderful Pentecost project here! I am so glad that my coloring sheet came in handy! Thank you!

    P.S. Your blog looks so lovely with the blue polka dots, ribbon and buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica for your kind comments! Your coloring sheet is just perfect for my Pentecost Lapbook.

      Delete
  2. I love that you were able to use my printable for something so meaningful! Thanks for linking back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that my students will keep the Lapbook as a reference for years to come. Your printable was a great addition to it! Was educational and eye catching at the same time.

      Delete
  3. I want you as my kiddos teacher!!! Oh wait, that's my job too! LOL YOU are a gift to you parish, Noreen! Blessings!

    P.S. I read the Jericho March post. How wonderful. But, I've never heard of it before. I"ll have to do my research!!!

    Hugs,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, you are too funny and kind! My class has been done for a couple of weeks and I miss them already! I miss coming up with fun and creative ways to teach our Catholic faith.

      This was my first experience of participating let alone, hearing of a Jericho March. It was wonderful!!

      Delete
  4. I'm tucking this Lapbook idea away for next year!!! Sure wish I had seen it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, it's good to see you here! There's still a bit of time if you'd like to have your children create one.

      Delete