Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Broken Wings Book Review

I was given the opportunity by Booksneeze to review the second book in the Angel Eyes Trilogy by Shannon Dittemore.  This second book is called Broken Wings.  I had read the first book which made the transition into this one quite smooth.  However, if you didn't read the first book called Angel Eyes, then you'll be confused and lost in the story line.  My first remark about this trilogy is that it's the Christian version of Twilight.  Instead of vampires and werewolves, you have angels and demons of the celestial realm.  If you like this type of genre then it hits the mark.  It was very engaging and suspenseful! 

The reader follows the lives of two specially gifted young adults named Brielle and Jake, who become targets by evil forces.  It's a typical good versus evil plot yet set within two worlds: supernatural and earthly worlds.  Spiritual battle after battle commence over the souls of the two main characters.  It's what a Christian can envision whose familiar with spiritual warfare.  A person's soul being the target and battled for by opposing forces and it takes the will of the person to remain faithful to God.  

Ms. Dittemore organizes each chapter from the perspective of one character.  It took me a bit to get used to this format but after reading a few chapters, it did help me stay on track with the plot. It even helped build tension in the story where I didn't want to put it down because I was compelled to learn what happened.  The reader must have a good imagination to be immersed into this story. Angels who are able to carry their humans around, while wielding a sword to combat demons, seems a bit of a stretch.  Another puzzling aspect was the author's use of angels who didn't seem to know what was going on.  Even St. Michael was brought into this story (which I liked) but he needed to be updated on the status of the battle by a cherubic angel seemed odd.  Their explanation was that God gives them the information they need at the time they need it.  They are not omniscient yet are able to calmly engage in battle with the evil characters.

One element I appreciated was the beauty of how humans and angels worship God.  It sounds magical and beautiful.  This book was not about fear and despair but even through pain there is always hope.  It exemplilfies how God gives special gifts and invites certain people to do his will for the good of others.  We all have a role to play in our own eternal salvation and we must choose to act on it for the good of ourselves and others.

Since there is one more book in the trilogy, the ending leaves the reader hanging.  I wish Ms. Dittemore had added a bit more substance on Brielle and another character called Olivia Holt.  But that must be her strategy. I will have to wait for the third book to be released this August to get the full story.  And read it, I will!

I review for BookSneeze®

I was given a complimentary copy of Broken Wings for my honest review.  No monetary compensation was given.

Blessings,
Noreen

2 comments:

  1. I think I have heard of this series. I have a very mature 13 year old looking for some material for possibly the summer time? Do you think this would be appropriate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Patty as long as she isn't freaked out by spiritual warfare or child trafficking. Both are strong elements in the book. The language is clean and no sex between the lead characters. They have a loving yet chaste relationship.

      Delete