Monday, January 31, 2011

A Humbling Moment

My husband and son were out yesterday afternoon for fun outdoor scout activity and after I walked my 95 pound dog for 2 miles, we had the house to ourselves.  Toby went to rest after his jaunt and I threw in a load of laundry, swept and mopped the floors and turned on EWTN.  It was just in time for The Divine Mercy Chaplet in song.  I LOVE hearing it this way.  In fact, it brings me to tears in a most profound, humbling way as we pray for His mercy on us and on the whole world.
I am extremely grateful that Jesus does not give up on us.  That throughout the course of history, he has come in visions, sent his angels and sent his Mother Mary to remind us to follow her son, our Lord Jesus Christ.

In 1931, Our Lord appeared to Sister Faustina (a simple nun who lived in Poland) in a vision and instructed her to have a painting made of this vision (as seen above)  and explained that the two rays denote blood and water.  The pale ray stands for the Water which makes souls righteous.  The red ray stands for the Blood which is the life of souls.  While Sister Faustina was praying for mercy she heard interiorly the prayers that  is now known as the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. 

From the Diary of St. Faustina,
"Say unceasingly this chaplet that I have taught you. Anyone who
says it will receive great Mercy at the hour of death. Priests
will recommend it to sinners as the last hope. Even the most
hardened sinner, if he recites this Chaplet even once, will
receive grace from My Infinite Mercy. I want the whole world to
know My Infinite Mercy. I want to give unimaginable graces to
those who trust in My Mercy...."

"....When they say this Chaplet in the presence of the dying, I
will stand between My Father and the dying person not as the just
judge but as the Merciful Savior".


Very humbling indeed...

At Jesus' request, we now celebrate Divine Mercy Sunday on the 2nd Sunday of Easter.

We have a loving and merciful Lord!  Please see the below listed sources for additonal information.

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

Association of Marian Helpers, The Divine Mercy Message and Devotion Pamphlet.

4 comments:

  1. I first heard the Chaplet of Divine Mercy on EWTN a little over 4 years ago and just fell in love with it. I would come home from work and listen to it and before long I was singing along. Then my Mom passed away, I picked up my Rosary (for the first time) and started praying it and followed by singing the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. It'll be 4 years ago tomorrow that Mom passed away and these prayers have gotten me through it.......moment by moment. Thank you Dear Lord for your gift of the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri - what a blessing to find comfort in these prayers! I will keep you and your family in my prayers for today - the anniversary of your mom's death. For my mom, it will be 19 years since she has passed away on Feb 28th. Unbelievable how quickly the time goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is just amazing!! I love the Chaplet of Divine Mercy prayer too. I find that when I pray for his mercy I am filled with so much hope and peace. I'd love to hear the song...I'm sure I'll be moved to tears too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post, Noreen and sharing more about the Chaplet. We had the words, "Jesus, I trust in You" placed on our baby Thomas' headstone. They summed up everything. The Chaplet was our life line. I agree, the sung Chaplet is very moving. This is the version we can join in with at the Pauline Fathers Monastery, every 3rd Sunday. I wonder if any parishes near you offer the sung Chaplet. Your blog is looking so good!

    ReplyDelete