Saturday, February 5, 2011

Our Lady of Good Help

I just learned from watching EWTN, that the church approved a Marian apparition at Our Lady of Good Help which is 17 miles north of Green Bay, WI.  She appeared to Adele Brise, a young Belgium immigrant in October of 1859.  This occurred one year after the Blessed Mother appeared in Lourdes.  Sister Adele is on the right in this picture.

The Blessed Mother had asked her to catechize the children in the Green Bay area.  It's said that before a school was built, she took Our Lady's message to heart and walked up and down the Green Bay peninsula area... as far as 50 miles.  Eventually she worked to open a Catholic school and the children came to her.
She devoted her entire adult life to teaching the Word of God and she passed away on July 5, 1896.

Bishop Ricken Issues Formal Decree. Marian Apparitions at the Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help are first and only in the U.S. to be approved by the Church! Bishop's Coat-of-arms

So now I wonder... why have I never heard of this before?  Now I want to take a road trip up there and visit this Shrine.  I want to learn more about what it means it was "the first and only"... are there other claims of Marian apparitions in the U.S.?  I know of the ones at the Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Hillside, IL.  My mom, aunts and sisters have all visited this cemetery.  In fact, my mother is buried not too far away from the site of the apparitions.  I think I will google this and see what I can find out.

4 comments:

  1. oh, be sure to post what you find out. I did hear about this approved apparition when it occurred, and was quite excited about it. I hope to visit there too someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I am so glad you found my blog through Mommy Time Out because I am so glad to find yours. I belong to a mother's group at my church and we have a rosary sub-group. I've been meaning to send little tid bits about the rosary to educate and encourage members about praying the rosary. Now, I have a great place to find information and resources.

    http://justanotherhat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noreen!
    Thanks for sharing this post as I have never heard of this apparition! I hope you get to visit there someday! Thanks for linking up to NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gardenia - I ended up overwhelmed a bit at the long list of apparition sites and I pray they are legit. I can understand why the church has to be careful before approving the site but how wonderful to think Mary has been all throughout the world all these years spreading the Word of God!

    JAH- you're lucky to have a mom's group at your church! We have Eucharistic Adoration on Monday nights and at 7pm we say the rosary. It's a beautiful service and I've learned more about the different ways to pray the rosary. I wouldlove to hear what you've learned too.

    Tracy - This was news to me too about the Wisconsin site. I'm going to plan a day trip up there when the weather improves!

    ReplyDelete