Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Rainbow Jello

For almost every family function, I am asked to make Rainbow Jello.
If I feel I have the time to do it, then I happily will make it.
But boy, it does take time...as in hours.
Looks wonderful though when done.
I only have pictures of the Jello still in the mold.
I made it for my nephew's First Communion Party and once it was taken out of the mold, 
it was dinner time.


It's a mix of 4 different colors in two shades each.
Each flavor is used twice.  First time as is, then the next layer with sour cream.


Here's how I do it:

Blue is the first color for this mold and the first layer is regular blue.
Then I add a bit of sour cream to the second blue layer to lighten its color.
Next color is regular yellow.
Then I add a bit of sour cream to the second layer of yellow....etc.
Each layer has to set in the fridge for about 25-30 minutes.
If you try to make it shorter and add a layer before it's ready, then they will blend together.
Tastes just as good but the look is off.

The recipe I used can be found HERE.
It calls for five different flavors (10 layers) but my mold holds four different flavors (8 layers).
You can make it in a 13X9 pan and use all five flavors.

You can play with any color combination you like or even just use one color and repeat the steps.
I've done blue and yellow for a scout event; red, white and blue for the 4th of July...etc.


My mold is not spiked like this one but it gives you the idea of how it looks 
when popped out of the mold.
By the way, the Tupperware mold I use above works beautifully when removing it.

Credit

If you've never made it before, it's best to make it the day before your event.
It takes a good 4 hours or so to make it.
My family does enjoy it so it's worth it!

I've linked up to Lisa's Try a New Recipe Tuesday.
Blessings,
Noreen


7 comments:

  1. Oh, what a beautiful dish to bring! And what sacrifice! What love. That's the way I feel about making crepes for a meal, the kids LOVE it, but it takes me an hour to make enough for the whole family, standing there by the stove pouring and flipping for an hour...but it's worth it, because it's one of their favorites! But 4 hours...I'll let you bring the jello. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a labor of love! I must be in the mood to do it or it'll be a complete disaster. I have yet to try and make crepes. Do you use a special pan?

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful dish! My kids love jell-o but I don't make it very often. I should try this some time to really WOW them.

    Hope your nephew felt loved and spoiled on his special day. :)

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did enjoy it! It's an interesting flavor combination that works. You would think mixing cherry, blue berry, lime, orange and pineapple would taste odd, but it doesn't. Any flavor combination works well.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen this recipe before, Noreen, but I know my children would love it. Thank you for sharing.

    I spend a few hours making trifle, at Christmas, and it's become a real family tradition. I wonder if this might become a birthday tradition!

    God bless, Noreen:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness! This looks absolutely beautiful!!! Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/05/try-new-recipe-tuesday-may-21.html God bless, Lisa

    ReplyDelete