I received a letter in the mail from Christendom College in Virginia this week and learned some troubling news about college age Catholics who attend Catholic Colleges. Assuming their findings are verifiable, here are some of their conclusions:
"Many if not most Catholic colleges today are Catholic in name only and students who attend
them are more likely to become militant secularists than to become capable defenders of the Faith."
That's a bold statement. Here is why they make that claim:
- Whereas a majority of students entered Catholic colleges pro-life, a larger majority graduated "pro-choice."
- Nearly one in five students knew another student who had or paid for an abortion.
- Support for legalizing homosexual "marriages" increased from 55% to 71% by senior year.
- 60% agreed that premarital sex is not a sin; 46% said they personally engaged in sex outside of marriage.
- 78% disagreed that using a condom to prevent pregnancy was a sin.
- 32% decreased their frequency of Mass attendance while in college, whereas only 7% increased their attendance.
I also received an e-newsletter from Judie Brown the president and co-founder of the American Life League. She enlightens her reader about the Catholics for Obama campaign and I went over to their website to read it for myself. This group supports Obama for his "tireless focus on economic security for the middle class." Other reasons listed are "cutting taxes and extending unemployment insurance" which I agree is important. In my opinion though, I find their endorsement reasons to be weak and secular in nature. They even stated "as Catholics we believe every human being is made in the image of God. From this we discern that, individually and as a nation, we have a moral obligation to care for one another." But what about the unborn? They even quoted President Obama's mantra "I am my brother's keeper. I am my sister's keeper."
But what he is not, is "the unborn's keeper."
Interestingly, at the bottom of Catholics for Obama website it states "Paid For By Obama For America." I'm not here to bash President Obama but I am adamantly opposed to his view on the most innocent part of our society which is the unborn. And I am saddened, that the high profile Catholics who support this Catholics for Obama Campaign are damaging the reputation of Our Catholic Faith. I wonder if they do go to church? Receive Holy Communion? Go to confession? I wonder who is steering their ship?
By the way, forty years ago, Pope Paul VI warned us "that widespread use of artificial contraceptives would lead to increased marital infidelity, lessened regard for women, and a general lowering of moral standards especially among the young." Sounds like today's society to me.
St. Joseph, pray for us!
St. Gerard, pray for us!
St. Padre Pio, pray for us!