Sunday, February 24, 2013

Lenten Symbol Box

I've been working on teaching my class about the different sacred vessels, vestments and sacramentals that are found inside the Catholic Church. 
 I had reviewed Monica's Catholic Lingo Bingo in a home setting HERE 
and have used it in my classroom.  
Her Lingo Bingo game is ideal for teaching these items that they see each week!
In fact, I encouraged them to challenge their family members to assess their knowledge of the sacred vessels, vestments and sacramentals!


It comes in a downloadable format to be printed at home.  
Then it's time to break out the colored pencils! 
Go check out her website Arma Dei Shoppe for this great resource and more!


While I was searching around looking for a new idea to use in my classroom, I came across this Lenten Symbol Box from Glitter Queen.  She was kind enough to leave the pattern to download for those who'd like to use it.  Thank you Glitter Queen for your idea, pattern and explanation!

The crown of thorns reminds us that Jesus was taken before Pilate who scourged him. Then the soldiers made a crown of thorns and placed it on Jesus’ head. They then dressed him in purple robes and pretended to worship him while they struck him and spit upon him.


The silver coins remind us that Judas Iscariot agreed to betray Jesus to the chief priests for 30 pieces of silver. Then he approached Jesus and gave him a kiss which led to his arrest.

The palm branches remind us that when Jesus came to Jerusalem to celebrate the Passover feast, people ran to meet him, with cut branches of palm trees, shouting, 
“Hosanna; Blessed is the King of Israel that comes in the name of the Lord.”


The silver coins remind us that Judas Iscariot agreed to betray Jesus to the chief priests 
for 30 pieces of silver. He betrayed Jesus with a kiss.


I also included on our prayer table the "coins Judas took to betray Jesus" as a reminder to my students that we betray Jesus when we sin, even if we are not given a reward, it's still betrayal.


I printed out the Lenten Symbol box on cardstock and their little fingers struggled a bit 
with the assembly of them :)


I helped them tighten them up before they left for the day.


Our prayer table looked like this:


Yesterday I went to a Parish Leadership Workshop and was given these buttons, pray cards and
bookmarks to give to my class.  


In fact, a priest gave me a huge stack of these bookmarks and I gave them to my DRE to distribute to
all the students.


This was a prayer card for vocations. 


And this button is a plea for non-violence.


With the recent announcement from Pope Benedict XVI and The Feast of the Chair of Peter, 
I thought it would be a good idea to talk to my students about it.
Thanks to Lena from Joyfilled Family who pointed me in the direction of learning more about Pope Benedict
HERE.  It's dated, but there is a nice coloring page and other activities.


It was a good class!  Thank you to Monica for giving me the opportunity to be one of your reviewers and to Glitter Queen for sharing your creativity!

Blessings,
Noreen

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, Noreen, your blog is absolutely DIVINE! I could just click around for hours and hours...It is unbelievably warm and inviting. Your tips are wonderful....
    Love it here.....

    Noreen, I am now following you and I look fwd to receiving posts.....I need to come back here to examine these lenten boxes; I saw them also at Jen's Cath Insp, which is how you found my blog! and right now, things are crazy at my house, but when I can breath, I'll be back....love this!
    It will be my pleasure to get to know you through the blogosphere....

    xoxoxo
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great resources and ideas, Noreen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great ideas, Noreen! Those kids are so luck to have you as their teacher! Thanks for all you do to help them! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great resources, Noreen. I haven't seen most of these so now going to click around:) Love that Lenten Symbol box, too. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete