Monday, December 17, 2012

Prayer for our Enemies

A Celtic Blessing

This soul did little good to me, O Lord.
But this soul was yours.
So to this soul I say:
I bless the day you were born,
I bless your growing up,
I bless you even in your dark deeds,
And I bless you, soul, at your end.
Travel to God who transforms,
Travel to the Arms so wide,
Travel to the Spirit all generous.
Amen

Credit
Honoring the Dead 
by St. John Chrysostom:

"Will you honor the dead?  Do not spend yourselves in unprofitable lamentations: 
choose rather to sing Psalms, to give alms and lead a holy life.  Do for them that which they would willingly do for themselves; were they to return again into the world; 
and God will accept it at your hands as if it had come from them.

Let us help and commemorate them.  If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation?  
Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and offer our prayers for them.

The Psalms unite the living with the dead.

This Celtic Blessing and Prayer written by St. John Chrysostom were found in the current book I'm reading called "Prayers, Promises and Devotions for the Holy Souls in Purgatory" written by Susan Tassone.

Advent Blessings,
Noreen

No comments:

Post a Comment